This Cake started out as your average cinnamon tea cake! thats untill I found I'd no white sugar so used brown sugar, then the top cracked which meant I couldn't do the usual cinnamon butter topping. what to do with a seriously cracked cake that still tasted great?? In a moment of inspiration (yeah right) I covered the top in chocolate & sprinkled with raw brown sugar. seeing that The Rolling Stones classic Brown Sugar was going through my head I feel its appropriate to send this to Elly for her Eat To The Beat event
Ingredients (serves 8)
- 180g cubed butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup milk
- extra brown sugar (raw) for sprinkling on top
you can spread melted butter over cake then top with sugar as per a usual cinnamon cake!
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Grease and line a 20cm-round cake pan with baking paper. Beat butter, sugar and vanilla together until pale and creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift flour, cocoa and cinnamon together. Fold in alternately with milk in 2 batches. Spoon into pan and smooth surface. Bake for 1 hour or until skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 15 minutes. Carefully turn out onto a wire rack.